c1000 install instructions
1) Download files: zImage.bin, initrd.bin, updater.sh. If the filenames are different, change them to the above or else the zaurus will not be able to find them. The filenames are somewhat case sensitive. Either use the capital I in zImage.bin, or all lower, or all caps.
2) Put files in the root directory of your CF card /mnt/cf (The flasher program asks you if you want to use CF or SD, so it is possible to use an SD instead of a CF card).
The steps to flash the C1000 from CF are(1):
1) Ensure that your C1000 machine has a standard flash partitioning (e.g. as it was originally), flashing may fail if this is not the case
2) Turn the zaurus over and flip the battery case switch to “Unlocked”. Remove the battery cover, and find the small reset microswitch on the left. The battery cover or the stylus can be used to press it.
3) Replace the battery cover and switch to “Locked”.
4) Insert the CF card with the image in the root, as described above.
5) Plug in the AC power jack. The yellow charge lamp must be on indicating external power, or you will get an error message in japanese later.
6) Press the “OK” key in front of the space bar and keep it pressed while pressing the “On/Off” button on the back side.
7) The Maintenance Screen will display. Choose “Update” this is item 4.
8) The next screen will ask the source, choose “CF” this is item 1; or “SD” this is item 2
9) The next screen asks for confirmation, choose “Yes” this is the left button
The Zaurus will now erase the flash, write the new image, then reboot to your new Operating System
Note that the flashing process does not erase your /home directory, therefore settings from other systems may remain there and possibly cause problems
(1)If flashing from SD, just replace CF with SD.
This process is almost the same as for the C7xx/C8xx series.